keskiviikko 14. elokuuta 2013

Korea: a land of discovery

We are amidst strange beings, in a strange land.

I'm spending this vacation break working, travelling, and generally rocking it out in the Republic of Korea. As I'm nearing the end of my internship period and the majority of my trip, I've decided to take some time out to write about this amazing country.

Out of the cities I’ve been so far (note that I’ve still a couple of weeks to go in Seoul following the post of this entry), Busan has definitely been the city that left the deepest impression on me. The wide walkways to the beach, the numerous beachfront chillax spots, downtown clubs, and the laid-back atmosphere coupled with beautiful people has made it my favourite city in Asia so far, sorry Shanghai! This isn’t to say that Seoul has been boring at all however. Although a bit more strung-up, areas such as Hongdae possess a permanent alternative and fresh vibe that permeates from the classiest galleries to the most seedy-looking clubs. Speaking of clubs, many offer free entrance to foreigners, though the quality of the club and clientele vary.

Speaking of strung up,Koreans work way too hard. They get up relatively early and end work in the late-evening hours. This doesn’t mean that the whole process is all work though, a lot of it is idling or “busywork”, where an employee simply sits and does random small tasks with generous breaks to pass the time. Asia is all about appearances, and it’s no exception here: you have to show your seniors an appearance of “busyness”. As a result, you’ll often see working-age couples out and about way after dark, as well as early burnout and relatively high self-harm rates. I keep saying to my friends here “You’ve an amazing country but no time to enjoy it”. I’ve yet to receive a protest.

I believe in travelling to see the people rather than the sights, as it is the people that are the molded products of the local culture, making them infinitely more interesting and beautiful than static sights. I would describe the Korean people as hospitable, hard-working, and friendly.  Korean people tend to be a bit more reserved than the Chinese, but once you break the ice (usually with alcohol), you’ll find them full of surprises and of course full of local knowledge of the best party spots like no guide would ever share with you. As with all of Asia you encounter a bit of xenophobia, but this is generally more restricted in Korea to certain groups, and even this is relatively minute. However, don’t expect English to be widely-spoken (I still don’t understand why American tourists I’ve met seem surprised at this). I’m trying to learn Korean and they’ve taken my attempts at the tongue in good stride. So in short, get to know as many as you can!

With your group of friends it’s important to find the right time to go! There are certain periods in Korea that are more packed with festivals than others, which are often fun and a nice break from the standard tourism packages. So grab some buddies and come check out this awesome country, accommodation isn’t expensive, with great places such as the LZone in Busan as well as SBC and Kimchee Guesthouse in Seoul .(http://www.kimcheeguesthouse.com/).

Follow-up reviews by the end of the trip!




Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti